Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:13:58 -0600

Avery,

Yes, be prepared!  I hope I remember correctly that I stressed going =
slow and listening a lot.  But at that point I know I was referring to =
things like making sure you had a hardener, such as an acetone/keytop =
mixture on hand in case a little too much softening had occurred, etc.  =
Obviously, after shaping hammers, reattaching the felt *might* prove to =
be a problem....  ;-)

Barbara Richmond
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Avery Todd=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

  Hi Barbara,=20

  That was one of the big things I came away with from your class here; =
whatever you do with voicing, don't do anything you can't "take back", =
so to speak! :-)=20

  At 08:36 AM 3/6/05, you wrote:

    Alan,
    =20
    Well, I don't think there's a class out there that can cover =
everything.  The way I learned (and am still learning) was knowing the =
basic principles and <practicing----a lot.>  I taught a class once for =
the Houston PTG chapter (hey Avery) on how to get started on voicing =
(maybe that's all I really know--I'm no master!) and one of the points I =
made was the fear factor is less if you are armed with the knowledge of =
how to correct your mistakes, too. =20
    =20
    Besides having picked up excellent suggestions on this list, I go to =
every voicing class I can.  If I can pick up one little tidbit or expand =
my understanding by a smidgeon, it's been worth it.  Sometimes the tips =
I get don't come from the teacher, but from the person I happen to be =
sitting next to!
    =20
    Shucks, I won't see you in Kansas City--and I'm not sure when I'll =
be able to make it to another annual convention. The new timing (earlier =
dates in June) conflicts with important fiscal year end stuff at my =
husband's job (annual meetings/reviews, etc.)--he's the boss and sort of =
has to be there.  Last year he was able to take vacation time to stay =
home with our son while I went to Nashville. I've been trying to come up =
with some child-care options, but no luck so far.  That's the way it =
works out sometimes.  I'm hoping to attend a regional next fall or =
spring.
    =20
    Keep practicing!
    =20