Moulded Key Tops

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:19:39 -0800

John Ross asked: "Joe had mentioned problems buffing.
I also have problems in this area.
I had thought on a softer buffing wheel, but have been unable to find a =
=3D
source. The selections available at my suppliers, are limited.=3D20
Any ideas?
I had thought on slowing the wheel down. Would that help?"
John,
I suspect it would, as "slow" hand buffing will eventually remove the =
scratches in that stuff, but it is very labor intensive. The time it =
takes to do this, I'd best spend replacing the entire set with something =
that can be buffed! Yikes!
Another problem, for key covering, is the fronts. IMO, anything over =
.040" thick, is not acceptable. The only supplier that offers material =
in this dimension, is Piano Tech. Their material is the same as the =
moulded key top material! It will scratch very easily and has to be =
corrected with hand buffing, as it won't buff, even with extremely light =
pressure  and a slow buffing motor w/soft wheels. (In Portland, there is =
a company that specializes in plastic, of all kinds, plus all the =
necessary stuff that is necessary to achieve good results. It's call =
Multi-Craft. I got some really fantastic extra fine buffing compound =
from them!<G> (Pastel Blue, in color) Really works great. BTW, my =
buffing wheels turn at 1735rpm or less. As it's not a good idea to put a =
speed reducer on an electric buffing motor, I haven't tried that. (It =
will prematurely burn out the motor.) I do have one set (2) of buffing =
arbors that are belt driven. I've put different drive wheels on them, to =
reduce the speed somewhat. I usually use that set up for brass/metal. =
Hmmm? perhaps I'll try buffing the next set of keys, (with appropriate =
"clean" buffing pads.), with the next set I do. It's a thought.<G>
Best Regards,=20

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I