Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:39:08 -0600

Sure did, Jerry, and thanks!
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Jerry Cohen
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:28 AM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Alan
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:08 AM
To: 'Pianotech'

=20

P.S.  Part of my pursuit of this at this time is a desire to rescue an =
area
Methodist church from the shrill, busy, ultra-bright, piercing, stident,
trident (gummed up) sound of the little Samick SG-172 grand they bought. =
I'm
pretty sure it's going to start with some serious string seating, bridge =
pin
stabilization, and regulation--followed by a session in the back room =
with
those hammers ... under a bright light ... with a rubber hose and brass
knuckles, to soften them up. I don't THINK I could make it worse, even =
with
what I know, now.  And, no, there are no other guild techs within two =
hours
of here and no local yokels I'd want to invite to help. I am alllllll
aloooooooone here in the elephant ivory graveyard.

=20

=20

Alan,

=20

I think the Samick is an excellent piano to start learning with. I did =
some
voicing on one a few weeks ago. It was also shrill and painful to tune. =
The
hammers are actually decent quality, and with needling, you can create =
nice
elasticity in the shoulders, and create whatever you want as you =
approach
the top.

=20

Since you are just starting, my advice is to make some improvement in =
some
section. If you try to do everything, you will get frustrated and lose
perspective. For example, even though the whole piano sounds shrill, try =
find one octave that is a little worse (or a lot worse) than the rest. =
Work
only on that section, and try to make it blend perfectly with the rest =
of
the piano. By doing this you will be developing your skills at not only =
tone
building, but also creating an even line. After you have finished that
section, pat yourself on the back, and leave the piano for maybe a week =
or
two. Then you can start working on other sections.  If you work on the =
whole
piano at once, you can easily lose your reference.=20

=20

We met briefly during Don Mannino=92s voicing class in Sacramento. While =
he
spent more time on pre-voicing, he really did demonstrate most of the
principles of voicing. I suggest starting with the shoulders, trying to =
feel
the elasticity being created. Work on one note at a time. Make a few =
stabs,
front and rear, and listen to the result. The difference should be heard =
in
the mF and F levels. Listen very carefully. When you hear a difference, =
move
to the next note, even if you haven=92t finished the first one. =
Remember, the
needling tool works a lot better than the unneedling tool! Eventually =
you
can start working up to the crown, but stay away from the strike point =
for
now. Use this area to create a nice mp and p sound. The final result =
should
be nice tone which has variety from pp to F. At FF it should start to =
crash.
Then you have created the full dynamic range of the piano.

=20

It was good to meet you last month, however briefly, and I hope this =
helps.

=20

Jerry Cohen

NJ Chapter