Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 00:08:02 -0600

David, et al,
=20
Well said.=20
=20
I DID play the '28 D that you and Dale had in Sacramento (already posted =
comment to Dale). I sat down at that piano and the first thing I played =
was
an octave in the low bass. It was the most beautiful sound I've ever =
heard
from a piano, bar none, I exaggerate not.
=20
Please understand that I live in that mysterious part of the world where =
old
Lesters, Winters, Wurlys, Chicks, Gulbransens, and Starks come to die. I
tune 3 small Steinway grands, one new (Chinese) Steck grand, one (bless
them) nice M&H, a couple of older small Baldwin grands, and a boatload =
of
Hamilton studios (some nearly new, one that served on Noah's cruise =
ship, I
think, and was worn out then). Only the Mason is big enough and nice =
enough
to qualify as an RPT test piano and I've only seen it once, so far.
=20
So I can sure hear and appreciate good voicing but, as you say, it is =
hard
to communicate with words. And I only have an intellectual, theoretical =
idea
how it's produced, not the skills to do it.=20
=20
I'm going to spend time in Frank Henderson's shop doing some work in
exchange for some coaching on this. I honestly think voicing is a skill =
that
cannot be learned from a book and on one's own. I don't think one can =
one
acquire those "ears" without hearing pianos and experiencing the =
difference
with a guide at your side. At least, not I.
=20
Hope you didn't think my comment was a negative reaction to your post--I
actually liked the sound of your words. But how does that all sound in a
piano? Ahhh .... maybe like that bass octave in California.=20
=20
Hey, I liked the racing stripes, too. (Now everyone will be asking you =
what
the heck THAT means!)
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
=20
P.S.  Part of my pursuit of this at this time is a desire to rescue an =
area
Methodist church from the shrill, busy, ultra-bright, piercing, stident,
trident (gummed up) sound of the little Samick SG-172 grand they bought. =
I'm
pretty sure it's going to start with some serious string seating, bridge =
pin
stabilization, and regulation--followed by a session in the back room =
with
those hammers ... under a bright light ... with a rubber hose and brass
knuckles, to soften them up. I don't THINK I could make it worse, even =
with
what I know, now.  And, no, there are no other guild techs within two =
hours
of here and no local yokels I'd want to invite to help. I am alllllll
aloooooooone here in the elephant ivory graveyard.
=20