Modern Tone

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:30:45 -0800

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Sarah Fox
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 9:07 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Modern Tone

Hi Geoff, Horace,
=20
As I said, I'm no recording engineer!  However, I've listened to many an =
old
recording and have groaned about the horrible, highly colored sound.  If
anything, I would characterize recordings from past eras as highly =
variable.
(Horace, the capabilities may have been there, but the proof is in the
pudding!)  Were there some good recordings?  Well, yes, obviously.  But =
still regard those recordings with considerable skepticism.
=20
Geoff, I remember talking with a recording engineer about the little S&S =
that they had just restored for their main recording studio.  They had
decided against restoring a concert grand (that I later bought from =
them),
in favor of restoring the 'M'.  I admit it was a *very* nicely done =
little
'M', and it produced some pretty impressive sound, but it still seemed a
tiny little piano to be making recordings on.  The engineer responded, =
"Ah,
that's not an issue.  I can make this piano sound however I want. With =
the
right settings, it'll sound just like a concert grand."  I have no =
reason to
doubt his claim.=20
=20
<GS> I disagree. He may be able to make it sound bigger, fatter and =
brighter
but what he is demonstrating is that he doesn't know what a large piano
sounds like in the first place, and that he is relying on his naive =
clients
not to be able to notice the difference either. Like the recordings =
groan
about above, he is just seriously coloring the sound. A small piano will
never sound like a big piano for a couple of reasons: A) The resonant
characteristics of the box and soundboard are different, and  B) The
partials coming off short strings just aren't as prominent and they =
don't
sustain as well as those coming off of longer strings. It's the same =
reason
a violin is never going to sound like a viola.
=20
Geoff:  <<Older recordings relied on the ability of the engineer to =
listen
and hear the instrument itself, and mic it so that it sounded the same
coming out of a monitor in the control room. And he did this using one =
or
perhaps two mic's to capture an incredibly well balanced performance.>>
=20
However, wouldn't the engineer still be intent, even then, on enhancing =
the
sound for a better sounding recording?  Wouldn't he still be intent on
hiding the instrument's warts?  It's the warts, after all, that the =
techs on
this list are listening for.  It's a bit like looking at a retouched
photograph for signs of blemishes.  It would be easy to draw the =
conclusion
that people had remarkably good complexion in times past!  In truth, it =
was
just good darkroom technique, just like good recording technique.=20
=20
 <GS> The objective is to make it sound as good as it can without =
forcing it
to sound like something different than what it really is.=20
=20
Geoff:  <<The reason why these recordings still sound wonderful today is
that the performances were recorded from a distance. This allowed the =
sound
waves coming out of the instruments to smooth out and for transients to
blend in and a whole lot of other things that we don't think about. Ever
notice how much better a piano sounds when you step back from it? >>
=20
This is the difference between near field and far field sound.  At =
distances
similar to the wavelength of the sound, power falls off with the cube of
distance, not the square.  At short range, the higher frequencies may be
attenuating in far field, while the lower frequencies are attenuating in
near field.  That's why radio announcers have those seductive, sonorous
voices!  ;-)=20
=20
<GS>  Low frequencies inherently contain much more power than higher
frequencies. Using radio announcers as an example, what they are taking
advantage of is what's know as the proximity effect in a their
"pressure-gradient" microphones. In other words, the closer you get to a
microphone the more prominent the lower frequencies will become. That's =
one
reason why most mics have a switchable hi-pass filter built in.=20
=20
Geoff:  <<The microphones from back then did a wonderful job of =
capturing
the music, in the environment that was available, using the technology =
that
was available at the time. Their very destinct sound is what makes them =
so
valuable today.>>
=20
But "distinct sound" implies colored sound.  That is, sound of a =
different
spectral envelope.  If all microphones transduced sound with perfect
fidelity, their response would be flat from DC to whatever.  But what I
hear, more commonly than not, is people complaining about the mics that =
are
unusually flat.  Yes, they are good for measuring industrial noise, and =
they
are good for picking off sounds from diesel engines.  But I would also =
say
they are good for musical recording, if they are used judiciously (as =
with
any microphone).  Of course my take on recording is that I want to hear =
the
warts too -- because the recordings I've made were for different uses.  =
When
doing field recording of frog mating calls, I wanted a frequency =
response
that was utterly FLAT.  That's because I had to perform measurements and
analyses on the call.  I needed to know what I had.  I'm not saying that
musical recordings should be done the same way.  I'm just saying that if =
the
warts are removed from those recordings with microphones of "distinct =
sound"
and equalizer settings that optimized the sound of the instrument, then =
we
can't well be listening for the warts!  ;-)=20
=20
<GS> Going back to our discussion of enhancing the sound of an =
instrument;
an engineer chooses a microphone for a particular instrument based on =
it's
abilities to color the sound of that instrument in the most musical and
flattering way. Not all microphones are meant to be acceptable for all
instruments. A Sennheiser 421 works great on, say, drums but if you are
going to capture an acoustic guitar you would probably grab something =
like
an AKG 414. My point is, unless you are documenting an instrument, (not =
the
performance), and the final recording is for spectrum analysis, an
absolutely flat microphone is not necessarily going to provide the most
pleasing recording.
=20
Geoff:  <<Marine engines aside, if we are so intent on B&K quality in a
music recording then we're no longer listening to the performance and =
what
the musician actually has to say. In other words, while the quality and =
set
up of the instrument is really very important, the performance is what =
we
should be enjoying.>>
=20
No argument here!  It's just that a musical recording must be understood =
in
the proper context.  It is not truly an archival recording that =
accurately
portrays the acoustic properties of an instrument, apparently even =
today.=20
=20
<GS> Most people who listen to recordings could care less about context. =
The
purpose of most recordings is not for archival purposes but rather to
provide income to the artist. When you go to the store to buy a CD you =
are
generally looking for a specific artist performing a specific piece of
music. You buy that recording because you want to enjoy that performer =
and
his/her music, not necessarily how it was recorded. Archiving is a whole
different discussion.=20
=20
Geoff, Horace, I've enjoyed the discussion!  :-)=20
=20
<GS> Me too.=20
=20
Peace,