Modern Tone

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:02:31 -0800

davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:43 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Modern Tone

Hey Dave,

I think Joe's comment does have some merit.  I *do* understand the
practice room problem of loudness, but I remember just "hammering away"
at the voicing anyway, to help keep things under control (and so I could
bear to tune the pianos).  I remember visiting a fellow university tech,
taking a look at a particular piano in a practice room and asking if
that was the tone quality he was shooting for. (I mean, there is some
difference between that granite sound and just plain loud.)   His
immediate response was, "It's only a practice room."  Well???

Then we went up to a recital hall to have a look at one of the
instruments there.  Holy Toledo, I just about fell over playing the
first chord.  He admitted that his assistant was supposed to have voiced
it, but obviously hadn't.  But he also said, that that was how everybody
liked them (and added the comment that some of the petite girls needed
help in producing volume--you might be able to imagine my reaction to
that).  But, he was told when he first arrived on the job that "they
like things bright here."  Well, who can argue with that?  I didn't ask
him who said that, but I might the next time I see him.

So, it sort of brings up the "school sound"-- and who determines it.  In
my case, I set it and got lucky because it was well received.  I do
remember one professor telling me of a visiting pianist (from a big
university) making comments about the pianos here.  "If only I could
have pianos like this in my studio."  I *think* he was talking tone
quality, because those were 1970s Teflon Steinways with original
everything (they weren't terrific *playing* instruments because I was
fairly limited in what I could do since my predecessor had repinned the
parts with telephone poles and we had no parts budget).  Anyway, my
reaction to his comment was, "Well, why doesn't he say something to his
technician?"   I knew who the head tech at that school was at the time
and I knew he was a competent technician.

So.....there are a lot of determining factors.  Folks get used to a
certain sound, folks who are afraid to ask for something different,
etc., etc., etc.......

I have a customer who recently replaced her worn out, little old no name
grand with a 1940s B--all original.   Something was said about how she
liked the sound and touch of the used one better than the new.  I knew
why---it felt and sounded most like her old piano--desperate for
regulation, complete with dampers bouncing on the backs of the keys.
:-)

Barbara Richmond