Modern Tone

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:07:27 -0600

Joe:

=20

Your "tin can" comment below is close, but no cigar.  We have 10
practice rooms reserved for piano majors with 10 Steinways (5 Ms, 4Ls
and a B)  The rooms are tin cans.  If you can imagine a room with a B
that can hold the B, a bench and a small to medium sized student.  How
do you get a sound that isn't too loud?  I have encouraged students to
invest in some kind of hearing protection.  Generally they do leave the
short lid closed with the music desk sitting on top of the piano.  In
spite of the fact that this makes the music awkwardly high, it's better
than going deaf before lunch.  I have steamed the hammers (doesn't last)
I've fabric softened the hammers (doesn't last and causes the hammers to
loose their shape) needled the hammers (really nothing lasts).  These
pianos are played very hard and in a room about 5% of the size room
these pianos were made to fill.  In our case at least it's not the
pianos, but the rooms. =20

=20

All our rooms do have walnut paneling and in the next year there is to
be some acoustic modifications made to them.  The goal is to reduce
volume in the rooms and cut down sound transfer between the rooms.
(Right now we have a lot of Mozart/Liszt collaborations that you don't
want to hear!) =20

=20

When you think practice rooms, remember that these are often really nice
pianos in extremely small rooms!

=20

dp

=20