lacquer-voicing

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:40:16 -0800

> Eric Shandall this week at Steinerts in Boston.
>     Eric outlined some lacquer techniques and suggested using water white
> nitrocellulose lacquer that was 12% solids by weight and thin with
> acetone 5 to lacquer 1.
>
>     I have a source for the above mentioned lacquer, but it is 26% solids
> by weight.Logic tells me that I just need to thin this 10 to 1 to acheive
> the same ratio.   Am I on track here?
>     Your comments as always appreciated.
>
>     P.S.
>      He applied this ratio to the strike point (3 small drops) at the
> beginning of the presentation on a note that had a weak attack . At the
> end of the presentation (90 min) the note had come up quite well.

This was the original use of both lacquer, and, much later, various kinds
of "keytop" and acetone.  The latter was actually introduced at the Hall
for specifically the purpose of "bringing up the tone" a small amount while
a salesperson and customer had coffee/lunch...for which use, it was/is
entirely appropriate.  The problems arise when, like other hardeners, it is
used without thought and/or discipline.

>     I'm going to try this on  20 year old B that I have just regulated
> .Hammers reshaped with very little wear .Sustain and power are good but
> the attack is very weak and the pianist would like this piano to come up.

Nice and thin solution; very small drop; and a good deal of
patience.  You'll be just fine.

Best.

Horace