lacquer-voicing

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:42:48 -0800

I went through this before (and on the list as well) and emailed Eric a couple of times.  The lacquer I have is also 26% solids and 10:1 doesn’t do much, if anything.  To build up the hammers I still use a series of strengths from 3:1 for the upper end where the hammers are always too soft.  4:1 in the lower treble and upper tenor, and 5:1 for the lower part of the piano.   If that doesn’t get there I prefer to file though sometimes a second application is necessary.   Sometimes I back off on the solution depending on the piano and the goal.  You have to play it by ear ☺.  For sharpening the attack only, I still use a very dilute key-top solution out of a 2oz hypo oiler (fine tip).  I dissolve one keytop in 8 oz of acetone and then cut that in half with an equal amount of pure acetone.  I prefer the plastic solution for sharpening the attack slightly on the crown because it seems to needle out better, but I like the lacquer for building up the hammer density overall.  In your case, since the piano already has power, I would opt for a relatively dilute lacquer solution (5:1 or 6:1) or the KT solution as described and put a thin line across the top of the hammer or three small drops, one on each string groove.

Depending on which class you take the strength of the solution varies.  Not that long ago they were advocating 3:1.  5:1 must be a new step in the technology.  Or, the hammers are coming out of the factory harder, which they very well might be.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
\

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Tom Driscoll
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 9:33 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: lacquer-voicing

List,
    I attended a voicing class  sponsored by Steinway and presented by Eric Shandall this week at Steinerts in Boston.
    Eric outlined some lacquer techniques and suggested using water white nitrocellulose lacquer that was 12% solids by weight and thin with acetone 5 to lacquer 1.

    I have a source for the above mentioned lacquer, but it is 26% solids by weight.Logic tells me that I just need to thin this 10 to 1 to acheive the same ratio.   Am I on track here?
    Your comments as always appreciated.

    P.S.
     He applied this ratio to the strike point (3 small drops) at the beginning of the presentation on a note that had a weak attack . At the end of the presentation (90 min) the note had come up quite well.
    I'm going to try this on  20 year old B that I have just regulated .Hammers reshaped with very little wear .Sustain and power are good but the attack is very weak and the pianist would like this piano to come up.
   Mr. Shandall also outlined other methods of his voicing techniques that is part of a longer class he is offering next week at the upcoming pacific northwest convention.
    We had a nice crowd on a very snowy night and Steinerts was very gracious with their hospitality.
    Tom Driscoll RPT