Modern Tone

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:26:12 -0800

Sarah,

At 01:18 PM 3/4/2005, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Joe said: "Tone is nothing like what the past was, IMHO."
>
>Alan responded: "I had asked [Ari Asaac] how a person can learn to really
>hear the subtleties of voicing and what a piano should sound like. His
>response was 'Listen to piano music recorded in the 1950's.'"
>
>Later, Horace commented to Barbara, "The piano aside, the real problem
>with the recording, however was the use of Crown pizeo-electric crystal
>pickups which were placed on the stage."
>
>And there's *almost* the point!
>
>There's a very good reason why the older pianos didn't sound particularly
>bright.  The *recordings* didn't sound particularly bright.

This is not necessarily true.

>  I wish I could speak more authoritatively as a recording engineer.  I
> can only speak from general knowledge, which may or may not be up to
> snuff in this area.  Anyhow, recording equipment from long ago simply
> wasn't capable of the broad frequency responses available to us today.

Yes.

>  Particularly at fault were the microphones, which were abysmal at
> best.  The transducer elements were HUGE and clunky and didn't vibrate
> too well at high frequencies.

Depending.

>  The amplifier circuitry was adequate (not great), starting around the
> 1940's.

Mostly, I would agree; except that this date precludes some of the optical
and earlier electronic work done by Phillips and Telefunken.

>   The magnetic recording equipment could pull a lot of media through at
> any rate desired, but the recording heads were fairly massive and didn't
> respond too well at higher frequencies.

Which is partly why the tape speed was pushed so high.

>Some of these shortcomings could be overcome by a competent recording
>engineer, with the help of filters, but the primary limiting factor was
>still the microphone, which was usually about the size of a submarine sandwich.

Yes and no.  If they were all that terrible (and, certainly, many of them
were), why are so many of those designs now commanding exceptionally high
prices and in daily use?

>   I doubt the recording engineers were particularly motivated to
> reproduce the higher frequencies, because consumer sound reproduction
> equipment of the day was incapable of reproducing it.

With this, I do have to disagree to some extent.  The object, in those
days, had only partly to do with the "normal" end consumer.  What one
discovers is that there was an amazing dedication to reproducing the sound
as accurately as possible - in the studio.  It was accepted that the home
user was not going to be able to achieve that level (by and large).  What
was understood was the testamental nature of the act of recording...yes,
profit was certainly involved, too...no question...but, there was still an
over-riding concern with art.

>  Frequency augmented recordings would only be of interest for archival
> purposes -- recording for reproduction equipment that wouldn't be
> developed for many decades.  I do have some experience with this, and I
> can assure you that not even academic people are interested in doing
> this.  (Sad.)

I have worked some with this, as well.  The basic problem is that, even if
there were to be agreement on the appropriate "sound" for a particular
situation, no one can afford to do it.  The re-engineering projects on
which I have worked have involved hundreds of thousands of dollars of
equipment and thousands of hours of time.  However tragic that is (and,
from my perspective, it truly is tragic), our society will simply not
support that kind of effort.  Even if people were willing to pay $75 - $100
per CD, you simply could not afford the overhead.

>Today, we have some very nice equipment available to us.  We are now
>capable of a fairly flat response curve up to 20kHz and beyond.  Some of
>the research equipment I have designed and constructed for sound
>reproduction has been flat +/- 1 dB from 10 to 6 kHz and flat +/- 5 dB
>from 6 kHz to 20 kHz.  That's pretty good, and I could have done even
>better with a higher budget and fancier equipment.  The B&K condenser
>microphones I used were much flatter still -- almost magically so.

Yes - B&K make some instrumentation mics that flat +/- 1dB @ 160dB from
below 6 Hz to nearly 30kHz...sadly, when used on pianos, they sound exactly
like what they were designed for - detecting imminent mechanical failure in
operating marine diesel engines.

Equipment is only part of the problem.  The biggest issue is the incredible
lack of "ears" on most engineers.

>So the pianos from back in the 1950's may have sounded much darker, as
>recorded.

Some did.

>  However, I wouldn't be too confident that they were really that dark
> when heard live.

Some were.  Some were not.

>  Some people may remember the pianos from back then, but how *well* do
> they remember them?

Rather well.  Part of that would depend on how many of them one has
directly worked on.

>  I don't think we really can have any idea what those pianos sounded like
> from any recordings.

I disagree.  I think that we can learn what we are listening for; often in
spite of, rather than because of, a given recording.

>   Our only hope of understanding these pianos is to reproduce their
> construction as faithfully as possible and to attempt to voice them the
> way we think we remember having voiced them back then.

Perhaps.

>   But since voicing is a subjective thing, with an end target in mind, I
> think this is where our ability to reproduce the past will fail us.

The end target is whatever a given instrument will do at a given point in
time.  This will be different for different pianos at different
times.  Again, much has directly to do with experience.

>   I seriously, seriously doubt we can have any good appreciation for the
> evolution of piano sound, beyond the performance ramifications of design
> changes that have been made throughout the eons.

I am not sure that I follow you here.  The second clause here is one
formulation of what always gets in the way.  That is, who is to decide what
performance ramifications, if, indeed any, go with which design
changes?  As the recent (lengthy) discussion on soundboards points up,
there really is no agreement - except, perhaps, between the folks who are
and/or have been the most active.  The majority of the discussions seem to
inevitably wind up in an endless and meaningless picking of nits that
cannot possibly be reductively analyzed at much beyond the most theoretical
of levels.

>Peace,

You bet!

Horace