Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

Peter Joris pjoris@pandora.be
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:36:22 +0100

Joe,

Thanks, I will be calling you when I have specific questions, I shall wait
what I can do with the original strings, ohterwise I might take on your
offer for the rescaling calculation

What color did you use for the plate?

It looks different than in most grands I have seen!

Kind regards

Peter Joris

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 16:52
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Restoring Collard & Collard Grand

I've done one. I had to shim/finish the board with the plate installed. The
plate cannot be taken out unless you want to destroy the "inner rim".
Likewise, the plate was finished IN the piano! Use of foam rubber/tape, etc.
was used to "mask off" the plate.

I did a scale evaluation on it. And I did rescale it. I used the designated
pitch of the time, (British era), to do the initial evaluation. Then I
rescaled, using the original tensions as a criteria and modern pitch. The
piano came out very nice. Yes, the tone was different, but that's why
"ancient" instruments, like this, are of great importance. It gives us an
idea of what "Tone" was desired/achieved in the past. (Modern Tone is
nothing like what the past was, IMHO. Much to my chagrin, I might add!)

Good luck with your project. You've picked one of the most difficult as a
first project. Procede cautiously and you'll be alright. If you have
specific questions, feel free to call.

Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police