Order of Ops?

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:45:57 -0600

Mark,

It depends......

It *should* be that you regulate before voicing.  But, depending on the
situation (and there are a LOT of variables--experience will teach a
person when it's OK to break the rules), I may "pre-voice" before doing
anything else--including tuning.  That's not meant to be an end-all voicing,
BTW.

An example:  Wednesday I tuned a fairly new Yamaha Console.  First visit
for me.  That piano could've blown anybody's ears off.  After playing my
first test chords to get the lay of the land, I turned to the owner and
started questioning her about the piano's tone.  She admitted that she
always plays with the soft pedal engaged and when her grandchildren came
over and played it, it drove her crazy.  So, I voiced before I tuned.  After
I tuned, I went over the voicing again to even things up.

If I hear loose screws in the action, there's no voicing until they are
taken care of.

Sometimes a quickie voicing is helpful in selling a full-blown
regulation job.  It demonstrates to the customer that something really can
be done for their piano, the technician knows what he/she is doing and will
provide results.

Good luck,

Barbara Richmond