Modern Tone

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:25:38 -0600

MessageAlan,

Tone quality is always an interesting topic to me.  I've gotten rid of a =
few recordings because I couldn't stand the voicing of the piano.  One =
was of the 500,000th Steinway (I think), a lot of different artists =
playing.  To me, it was a really glassy sounding instrument.   I sold =
the CD to a faculty member. =20

I'm not sure how I learned to hear the subtleties and form my opinion of =
piano tone.  But I did practice voicing every chance I had, starting =
with evening up notes on the pianos I tuned.  Are you a pianist?  As a =
pianist, I am always looking for the greatest spectrum of tone color =
available.  When I'm playing, I feel like the piano IS the orchestra, =
and I want to be able to produce as many different voices possible.=20

Recently I serviced the home piano (Steinway B) for a university =
professor (of piano).  When I was at his house he said something to the =
effect that he didn't want "that generic Steinway voicing."  Let me =
explain that I've often felt like I'm in minority because it seems no =
matter where I go, so many of the pianos (not just Steinways) are way =
too bright--for my taste, anyway.  I can produce that raucous kind of =
voicing if I have to, but I don't like it and I don't like to have to =
tune it.  If given artistic freedom, I go for a broad sound--not too =
bright (but capable of being bright) and not so mellow to rob power.  In =
fact, at one time I had doubted my voicing strategy (only because it =
seemed to be different than so much of what I've heard out there), until =
I got the e-mail from the professor asking me to service his piano.  =
I'll quote the line that made me want to do cartwheels:

"I have greatest admiration for your ability to bring out the highest =
artistic potential in pianos."

Well, I'm not sure I actually do, but, golly, I'm going to save that =
one!  A little affirmation at the right time can work marvels for a =
person.  OK, I'll stay the course, I'll stick to my ideals.

Go for it, man!

Barbara Richmond

 =20

----- Original Message -----=20