Player piano vent block diagnosis

Greg Graham grahampianos@yahoo.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:18:44 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for all the replies.

This does appear to be an Amphion player mechanism in
the Laffargue piano.  All the Amphion photos in
Reblitz look like a match.  I didn't look closely
enough to know if it is an "early upside down valve"
or a "later right side up valve" stack.  The 1970
rebuild work was excellent, at least what is visible.
Once it gets over the start-up hump, it plays very
well at low pressure.  Thank goodness for the electric
vac.  It was impossible to get it playing using the
foot pedals, no matter how violently I pumped.

I suppose I could pop off one or two unit valves and
test them to see if seating is the problem.  They are
only held on by spring clips.

If the stack valves turn out to be the problem, the MD
who owns it wants to fix it.  Anyone want to bid on
the valve work?  Would it be as simple as putting the
unit valves in a shoebox and mailing them to one of
you player gurus? You may contact me off-list.
Thanks.

Greg Graham
Brodheadsville, PA