Sensitive Little Booger

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:56:35 -0600

Tuning a Shafer & Sons spinet, crap piano otherwise in good condition.
Wildly out of tune and 10-25 cents flat after 9 months.=20
=20
Pinblock is very tight. String friction must be low because the pitch =
rises
and falls with the slightest bit of pin torque, so stabilizing at pitch
requires a little extra work. Piano has not been moved and is not in a =
bad
environment, gets played only gently, and infrequently. Strings about 20
years old.
=20
Why, oh why, are some pianos so prone to change and others so stable if =
it
isn't the block? High crown making the board very sensitive to humidity
swings? Gremlins?
=20
On the upside ... she says the piano has always been that way and it =
didn't
start when I became her tuner. Since I forgot to call her, as promised, =
for
her 6-month tuning, I told her I would not be charging for the pitch
correction. She smiled and said "Oh, that's nice," then asked "Would =
getting
a dehumidifier help?"=20
=20
So the result of clean living and being Mr. Nice Guy? Well, I sold a =
full DC
system which I fully expect to work wonders in this case AND my 6 month
tunings should be a lot easier. Ah, clean living.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
=20