Player Pianos

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 05:58:02 -0600

Richard,

I would say it depends on your locale. I knew of a player piano
rebuilder some 30 years ago, who was always booked for rebuilds. He
usually had a two year backlog. He had a local store and stocked rolls,
of which I bought many from him. About two years he passed away. After I
started in the piano business, plus my love for player pianos, have had
one since about 10 years old with a collection of about 800 rolls, I
decided to take on that part of the business. Once my advertising kicked
in, I have about 13 player customers, subcontracted twice with local
piano stores for repairs and player checkups before they sell them and 4
rebuilds scheduled for this year. Ebay seems to be a good gauge for the
market - even though that is from the selling aspect - however, that
means there must be a concentration in those areas. Now if those people
are selling just to be selling or selling because there are not enough
rebuilders around - that is a good question. The player lover in me says
go for it - you can always turn the business away. A full shop would be
nice, right now I'm working out of my basement - pulling out the player
parts and leaving the shell at the customers.

Duaine

P.S. Player piano almost never get tuned regularly, a lot of tuners
refuse to tune players for what ever reason. Thats another way to get
the word out - let your other local tuners that you will tune players.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ