Lawrence Welk tuning

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:15:11 -0600

> Joe, et al,

Comments interspersed, with Deletions;

> >The way I was taught, was to tune all the center strings as usual. Then,
> >tune the left strings 1-2 cents flat, (this is a matter of choice/taste,
> >i.e. how raucous you want the thing to sound.<G>) Next, tune all of the
> >right strings 1-2 cents sharp....i.e. what ever you decided on the left,
> >will dictate the "spread" you put on the right. Bi-chords, everyother one
> >flat/every other one sharp

"Nail a single bicord string in the bass to the center string in the
temperment octave,and listen. Tune the center strings at the strech you deem
approrite in the treble. This is what  we call  "Gospel Tuning".

 bouncing on the dolly up and down a couple curbs should do a reasonable job
> of de-tuning it.
When you do this, put your "in-tune sensibilities" to bed.

"Now your on the right track "

  Finally, have the pianist test it for his/her reaction(s)
> Of course!!!  This is one gig where I won't be a hypochondriac. ;-}

"Do not ask,the 'artiste'...problem solved!

Hubert Liverman
Opelika,AL