Spinet "Squeak" Noise- Guess the fix...

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:10:41 -0700

bridle wire rubbing neighbor....?

David I...

Original message
From: Paul McCloud
To: Pianotech
Subject: Spinet "Squeak" Noise- Guess the fix...

Hi Guyz-n-Galz:
    I had an interesting encounter with an Acrosonic the other=
 day.  The customer complained about a click/squeak noise on some=
 notes, which she clearly noted on a card.   I was unable to hear=
 what she was hearing, but said that if we tuned the piano first,=
 the noise might become more easily heard.  So, I did a double=
 pass tuning, which sounded all right to me, and asked if she=
 still heard the noise.  She played the notes which she objected=
 to, and said the sound was still there.  We played around with=
 the notes, until I finally heard something.  It was a noise,=
 like a faint squeak, that appeared upon release of the key.  I=
 was thinking the jack cushion felt on the butt was the culprit,=
 but that wasn't it.  I removed the wooden sticker from the=
 action and after a few minutes of fussing around with the=
 wippen, found the source of the noise.  See if you can guess=
 what the cause (and remedy) was.&nb! sp; Hint: the jack had=
 nothing to do with the noise.

Paul

Paul McCloud
San Diego