Yamaha U3

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:30:41 +0100

Can you replace those panels with "panelled" panels... if you follow me? =
Like the old pianos used to be - made out of thin pine panelling in =
thicker frames. Worth a try...If it works then finish them according to =
the piano carcase.
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dean May=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 1:47 AM
  Subject: Yamaha U3

  I am just finishing up a U3 that I put a new set of Arledge strings on =
(Jolly Loops). I also reduced the damper spring tension as I have =
already posted previously. The piano plays and sounds wonderfully, that =
is until you put on the bottom and top panels. The panels are very heavy =
and very close fitting. There is no place for sound to come out. It is =
possible to prop open the lid, but it still does not give the full =
volume of sound.=20

  =20

  Anybody else notice this? Anybody have any creative solutions? The =
only thing I could come up with is cutting some openings in the front =
panel and put on some kind of exotic wood fretwork with speaker cloth =
backing. It has a polished ebony finish.

  =20

  Thanks in advance.=20

  =20

  Dean