VERDIGRIS IS COPPER CORROSION

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:21:31 -0700

There are two types of center pins used today that I am aware of: nickel
plated brass and German silver.
Brass is composed of copper (56 - 67%) and zinc.  German silver is
composed of copper (46 - 66%), zinc (9 - 42%) and nickel (8 - 36%).  As
I see it, there is no getting past copper as a component in center pins.

On many old pianos the verdigris is probably due to lubricants and
enviromental factors over the centuries.  As well, the thin plating may
have worn, leading to exposure of pure brass to the bushing.  I am
talking about flanges that weren't dipped in a "preservative" like so
many of the old Steinways.  I believe on these actions, one can get very
good results by rebushing the flanges.  A lot of work, no doubt, but the
only way to go if parts can't be had.

A great help in rebushing whole rails is the use of the European style 2
foot long center pin wires.  Rebushed flanges can be strung up on these
for the glue drying/bushing shrinking/sizing steps.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply