Howdya get CA off of polyester???

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:50:24 -0300

Re: Howdya get CA off of polyester???To make a polyester finish satin, it appears that the finish is rubbed with a block that is covered in superfine steel wool, or a fine grit sand paper. This breaks up the shine with very fine scratches, that go in straight lines, not circular.
There is one story I heard of a guy that had a satin finish Yamaha, and he polished it so much that it ended up with some sections high gloss and some not. They had neglected to tell him, his finish was satin, and he thought is should be shinier.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 12:11 PM
  Subject: Re: Howdya get CA off of polyester???

  Oops, I missed that. Right you are. Thanks.

  But that begs another question: Is it not likely that either the finish is not polyester or that another finish has been applied over the poly? I don't know that I have ever seen a polyester finish in satin - seems it would just turn kinda white. Best be careful with this one....

  Terry Farrell

    In this particular case it is a satin finish. I don't think he'll need the buffing wheel or polish.

    Dean

    Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

    PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

    Terre Haute IN  47802

    CA can be dissolved with acetone. Acetone won't hurt polyester, particularly if its only in contact with the polyester for a short time. After you wash the CA off, just polish the polyester surface again with any of the polymer polishes. It will take the slight dulling off to come up just like new. But please make sure that the finish you are proposing to removing the CA from is indeed polyester. If its acid cat or any of the other lacquers, acetone will remove both the CA and the lacquer coating.

    Ron O.

      And then of course, have your buffing wheel available!

      Terry Farrell

        I have scraped it off with a razor or knife and then dressed the finish with a little 4/0 steel wool. You could even use some 600 sandpaper first and then the steel wool. Try an inconspicuous area first to see how it is going to look on the finish. But if you can hardly see it now probably hitting a couple of times with the steel wool will make it disappear.

        Dean

        Dean May

        I just finished tuning a satin walnut polyester piano that has a few loose pins.  It's a couple of years old, and still under warranty, but I figured I try to CA a couple of pins anyway.

        Just to prove that performing that operation requires care and patience, I spilled a very small amount on the keyslip....:-([(

        At least it isn't laquer.  I got most of it off before it had time to set, but as we all know, the stuff dries durned fast!  So there are a couple of very small marks on the front.

        The finish doesn't appear to be damaged at all, and it's hardly visible, but I can see it.  I'd like to do right by the customer and get it off if possible, but I didn't want to apply chemicals that might take the finish off in conjunction with the glue...

        If any of you have an idea about how to remove this stuff, please let me know!

        It's always on the fourth tuning of the day...

        Thanks in advance!

        Dave Stahl