Nobody Knows the Treble I've Seen ...

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:55:04 -0700

At 05:30 PM 7/28/2005 -0500, Alan wrote:
>New Yamaha GA-1 (yurk): In addition to low treble from hell, the 6th and
>7th octaves are just screechers, wild and wooley. On the spectrograph,
>some of the individual strings have about 8 peaks each!

Ah, but are they woolly? Or are they hardened within an inch of their lives?

If you have permission to voice this Yamaha GA-1 (yurk) piano, and the
owner agrees that the treble is way too screechy, (some owners are deaf --
they might even like it) you might try what I do (given permission, etc.)
Pull out the little action, and give the top octave one small drop of vodka
directly into the grooves. I think you'll find the 8 peaks getting less
high and steep. Maybe you'll end up with 6 peaks, or 4, or something. I've
never metered the results except with my ears.

Too little felt to needle up there, and anyway, it's all solid as a rock.
Vodka never broke a fiber yet. Besides, some owners enjoy the jokes. "Your
piano is just too _dry_. It needs a drink ..." etc. However, in the high
treble, it doesn't need a BIG drink, and it shouldn't get into the habit of
drinking.

In octave 6, I'm more likely to work on the duplex (a little strip of
bushing cloth, a dab of gaffer's tape, even a drop of white glue ...) with
maybe a chopstick needle on a few string grooves, and a whole heap of
tweaking and beating in the unisons. But octave 7 usually carries a lot
more lacquer or *whatever it is.*

Wearing alcohol-proof flamesuit ... thanks, Conrad, nice up to date fashion
statement ...

Susan