old grand with a K

JWyatt1492@aol.com JWyatt1492@aol.com
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:46:59 EDT

Hello Tom,

    I am of the opinion that Kimball never put
any number or letter designations on their plate.
Most other manufactures did.

   If it is a Kimball it will have a "Thayer" action.
This action is easy to recognize by the jack.

   There were several manufactories that made
pianos without casting names in the plate, only
decals.
   Many times these can be identified by
the actions.  Generally the jacks will tell the
the true story.

   A given manufactures may build different whips
but the jack will almost always be the same.

   If you will send a picture, copy or a good
drawing of the whip and jack, usually I can tell
you what action brand it is and this will help
identify the brand of piano.

  In the PTG Foundation Museum I have displayed
my personal collection of jacks all but one are identified.

    I hope Joe Garrett can help me on this one.  He  has
agreed to help in identifying some rare tools.

Regard's

Jack Wyatt