S&S action problem

David Shepard lostshepard@lycos.com
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:14:29 -0500

Hi I missed the beginning of this thread but what age and model is this Steinway ?

 On the same subject what is the general opinion about the older 1920's models that had the sloping capstans/whippens. I have done a number of hammer/shank/flange/knuckle replacements with parts from Hamburg to the original size i.e. 16 or 17mm and somehow they never seem to work out - the touch always ends up being way too heavy for fine playing. Its OK to thump away on but the moment you try & play softly you get hammer failure.

I have thought about re-positioning the capstans to stand upright and fit new modern whippens to the existing rail - what is the general thought on this or am I missing something more obvious here.

Hey any help much appreciated.

David Shepard
London UK

--