Knight jack stop rail

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:10 -0700

Pianolover 88 said: "Customer has a 1963ish Knight console. The jacks =
have its own stop rail,=20
whereas on most pianos the letoff rail also has a felt strip on the back =
to=20
dampen the impact of the jacks so as not to "click". The knight has BOTH =
a=20
letoff rail AND a separate jack stop rail, but for some strange unknown=20
reason, the latter was originally backed with FOAM instead of felt! Of=20
course after 40 odd years that foam has literally turned to powder and =
the=20
residue was everywhere! So after cleaning the action and doing some =
other=20
repairs, I tried to remove the rail so I could back it with a fresh =
strip of=20
felt....But I cannot figure out how to get it out! It has four adjusting =

screws like those used for the letoff buttons, only these are longer and =
go=20
through the rail and continue a couple more inches into the action =
frame.=20
Turning each screw only results in moving the rail closer or further =
from=20
the jacks,but does not appear to allow for the removal of the rail. So, =
I'm=20
hoping someone here has experience with this configuration and can =
advise me=20
on the correct removal of this rail. Since the rail  is without backing =
at=20
this point, the jacks do make audible clicks when playing, so maybe by=20
regulating the rail so it's farther away from the jacks would lessen or =
stop=20
the clicks? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter."

Terry,
Usually, those jack stop rails are mounted with threaded rods that have =
a right hand and a left hand thread on them. I've always been able to =
just keep screwing until the end, (in the hammer rail), exits. Usually =
you have to do them in tandem so that they don't bind and warp the =
rail(s).
Your other option would be to put a "butt felt" on each jack at the =
location of contact with the rail. Pretty simple really. Hemostats, hot =
hide glue and a bunch of butt felts. Take all of the bridle straps loose =
so that you have better access.
Regards,=20
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police