Stretching the Treble

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:34:59 +0200

Hi Jon, Susan, David, and others.

Jon... just thought you might find it interesting to hear that a P 12ths
tuning nearly always ends up leaving C8 somewhere between 32 and 36
cents stretched, which of course means the 3rd partial of the 12th below
is correspondingly offset.

As far as the rest of this discussion is concerned.  Let me just say
this. Pretty much all the seasoned tuners on this list understand and
can relate to the need for speed.  The quick and dirty, the 45 minute
wonder job... whatever you wish to term it.  But very few of these same
would find reason to disencourage any tuner from learning to understand
and master aural skills. And there are very good reasons for this.

An ETD should IMHO definatly be in just about everyones bag of tools
these days... but if you are leaving your ears out of your tuning skills
box.... well you are just putting more buisness in the hands of tuners
what know how to use them. But by all means... too each their own.

Cheers
RicB

Jon Page wrote:

I've been tuning pianners for 30+ years and the last 3 with the
assistance of the Verituner 100.
I have tweaked the style setting to stretch the octaves in a manner
which emulates my
aural tuning style.

I have noticed that C8 is usually stretched to about +36c (less than
what I was setting aurally,
which was too high - broken strings).

Where do others end up?  I followed another tuner on a rental D
recently and C8 was +60c,
way too sharp for my taste.