Stretching the Treble

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:01:56 -0700

At 08:14 PM 7/24/2005 +0930, you wrote:
>  Unfortunately Susan...There are some of us that have to do the best and
> fastest job with the least wear and tear on our hearing and
> health..unlike the dreamers that think that an aural tuning is a mystical
> work of art!
>
>Robin Stevens
>30 years aural and 15 years ETD

Hello, Robin

Sort of industrial-strength piano tuning?

If it works for your situation, then you've made the right choice.

I'm at a place and time in my life where I can, at least for now, suit
myself. Keeping the process enjoyable (for both me and my clients) can (for
now) take priority over sheer volume at a certain acceptable standard. So,
as long as this is true, I'll tune just as I please.

I don't understand the wear and tear on your hearing. Your ears are still
exposed to the sound of the piano, whichever method you use. As for the
wear and tear on your health, it seems to me to be related more closely to
volume and speed of work than to machine vs. non-machine.

For me, a lower volume of work, an un-rushed way of doing it, and time to
smell the flowers and chat with customers leads to less wear and tear
(except on one's budget, of course.) I'm 59 now, and I imagine that unless
my situation changes I will continue to subside into partial retirement
over the next ten to 15 years. I hope, by reducing stress, to go on tuning
well into my 70's. Aurally. I do like the concert work. Hopefully, it will
be the last to go.

Regards,
Susan Kline