butt springs

Warren Fisher fishwar@bellsouth.net
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:02:12 -0500

Richard,
I wouldn't advise doing it that way.  I don't think the rail screws are removable inside the piano. There is too little clearance between the screw head and the hammer rail.  You may get them out, but I doubt you could get them back in.  Sometimes you have to remove the hammer rail to get enough clearance.  Also you have a good possibility of messing up the damper adjustment getting the rail out.  You really don't want to do that.

Springs are not the only thing that will cause a key not to work.  You will never know what is causing the problem unless you remove the action and inspect everything.  I have replaced a spring and then found the flanges seized up with moisture.

You should charge a substantial fee, at least one hour, just for removal and replacement of the drop action.  This charge should not include any work and should be collected whether you work on the action or not.  Don't sell yourself short.

Take the action to the shop and put it in a cradle so that all the parts are accessable.

Warren Fisher- Navy Retired - Slidell, Louisiana

To: Pianotech
Sent: 7/22/2005 7:36:12 AM
Subject: Re: butt springs

But I can pull the rail and install springs right?

-------------- Original message from Andrew and Rebeca Anderson <anrebe@sbcglobal.net>: --------------

This is the Whitney Spinet right?  I've worked on one of those.  Do not plan on adding anything to the spring rail.  Tolerances are very close there.  They have felt on it because the hammer shanks will check against it on a firm blow.

AMHIK,
Andrew