butt springs

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:51:30 -0300

I find it interesting, that you do not want to remove the action.
Over the years, I too, many times did a job, with the action in, as I thought it too much of a hassle to take it out. But it ended up taking much longer to do, and in some cases, ending up not quite up to snuff. (Funny term that, just means, not as good as it should have been)
I now take the action out, as the job ends up being easier to do, and you end up with a better end product.
Especially a job like the one you are intending.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: richard.ucci@att.net
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:43 AM
  Subject: Re: butt springs

  Thanks Terry,

  Actually, I did not want to pull the action on this turkey. I was toying with the idea of installing springs on a thin strip of wood and then glueing it in place.

    -------------- Original message from "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>: --------------

    Alan, that was cruel and uncalled for. Whitney, like all piano manufacturers space the butt springs one per butt! (It's the butts that are randomly spaced!)   ;-)

    That's all you get Rick until you give us more information! R U replacing the spring rail for some reason? Or just the springs. Perhaps this is the first time you have replaced this type of spring? If so, you may just not be aware that the springs are set into little holes in the spring rail - so no spacing efforts are needed - just remove old springs and replace with new ones in original holes. (You need to soak the felt to soften and remove the hide glue...... oh no - was a Whitney glued up with hide glue or will it be some ookey white crud.....?????)

    No doubt there is tons of info in the archives describing this job. I know there is good stuff in the PTG reprint articles - that's what I used the first time I did that job.

    Terry Farrell

      Whitney spinet, eh? Just use the same random spacing the factory used.... oh, wait, that was cruel.

      More seriously: Are these on a damper rebound rail in the usual configuration? Is the rail still usable?

      Actually, I guess I don't really understand your question ... a little more detail, please ...

      Alan Barnard
      Salem, Missouri

         Is there a standard distance for spacing hammer butt springs? I'm thinking of doing a gang replacement on a Whitney spinet .

        Thanks,
        Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano