Moving from Uprights to Grands

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:06:33 -0700

At 07:25 AM 7/21/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>Oddly enough, Terry, I have never even tried using either a felt mute or a
>strip mute.

Hello, Michael.

I use the strip mute for the middle octave, plus a few notes. (Increasingly
fewer, as I use little pieces of it for other tasks such as butt felt.) It
saves a lot of time setting the temperament, though you have to be aware of
when you've moved the pitch enough that you'll need to do it twice. (tune
the side strings, reinsert the strip mute, start over, it only takes a few
minutes.) It's not at all hard to put in, except that you have to keep the
dampers raised. You just make a fold of it, and squeeze the fold into the
space between the notes. Behind the dampers the strings move aside more
easily.

The felt mutes are great. Quiet, and they don't change temperature the way
rubber mutes do.

Susan, writing from a midnight Oregon.