Wegman Tuning Pin System

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:51:22 -0400

    As the (unofficial) spokesman for the Wegman piano (they were made =
in our town), I'll try to  answer your question.  The tuning pin system =
Wegman used consisted of a conventional plate with carefully drilled =
holes that the very short, smooth tuning pins would fit into.  There was =
no pinblock, and the pins were a slip fit.   The pull of the string in =
one direction would create enough friction on the pin so that it would =
stay in one place but still be able to be rotated for tuning.    There =
is some controversey about whether the holes in the plate are oval or =
round, but either way, the pins jam and remain in one place. =20
    Tuning is done in the conventional manner, changing strings is a bit =
tricky, but with a little practice is easy to master, as the tuning pin =
stays loose until there is tension applied by the string as it is =
tightened up.  The system seemed to be a good one as pins never =
loosened,  and I'm not sure why it has disappeared from the piano =
industry. =20
    Mike Kurta,    Auburn, NY =20
    Home of the Wegman piano.