Piano Design Question

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:50:29 -0700

Stephen Birkett said: ">The problem with that particular piano has ever =
been the "hanging=20
>on" since the dampers were totally inefficient by modern standards.=20
>That said Schubert, played on a Fortepiano, is a joy to hear!=20
>Schubert obviously used the defects of these pianos to his advantage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. These aren't defects. They are=20
exactly the characteristics considered desirable at the time. The end=20
of the sound was just as important as the beginning. To throttle it=20
with highly efficient dampers would have been considered plain crude.=20
Just as we shouldn't try to extrapolate their aesthetics forwards in=20
time to define our piano concept, extrapolating our aesthetics=20
backwards is not valid either"

AT LAST! Someone actually gets it!<G> I've been beating on that =
drum....Forever! The above statement should be Stenciled on the =
forefront of every technician's cerebellum that attempts to make a =
Square Grand/Square/OverDamper Piano sound like a "modern" piano!!!!! =
Thank You Stephen!!!!!!
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I