Piano Design Question

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:05:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the details on the overstrung design
chronology and the role of steel wire development in
the timing of it all.  I generally have great respect
for the pineers in any field and HS is no exception.

You asked: "How about $20,000? Would that make a
difference?"

My gut feeling is that the $20,000 piano market is
roughly equivalent to the U.S. $20,000 automobile
market.  The products in this price range are the
bread and butter of manufacturers like Yamaha (I think
the street price of a new Yamaha C3 is a bit more than
that).  The consumers in this segment don't want junk
or ornamental objects, but they probably don't see
themselves as "early adopters" either.  This is the
"better safe than sorry" market segment.  (If my
automobile analogy is correct, consider the success of
a car like the Toyota Camry - no head turner, no
surprises, great quality.) In this market segment, I
would say that only a major manufacturer with all
their marketing resources could instill enough
confidence in the consumers to risk spending money on
an unusual and new design.  It can be done, but I
often think of how much marketing work Kawai had to do
to get some respect for their ABS action parts.

Many of the very wealthy on the other hand are perhaps
a bit more interested in image, don't wish to be "me
too", and don't feel the pain of the expendeture quite
in the same way.  They may be more attracted to the
exotic, the rare, the custom built.  Selling here is
more a matter of providing them with yet another proof
of exclusiveness.  Think of those extra keys on the
Boesendorfer for example.  Not really that valuable,
but what a great conversation piece at the party!

So, I guess it may be easier to convince a
conservative audience that a new design is a "must
have" if they can first see the exotic $200,000
instrument with the new features.

The problem, I guess, is that the market for new
pianos is not growing (except perhaps in China), so we
don't have that exciting market place that existed
before 1900. Few of the manufacturers are getting rich
from the business.  Otherwise, the battle for new and
improved designs would be led exactly in the $20,000
price range.

Maybe I didn't answer the question, did I? - Please
let me know.

Best regards,

Vladan