Piano Design Question

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:53:24 +1000

At 6:02 AM -0400 16/7/05, Farrell wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses. Either maybe I'm not so crazy after
>all, or several others are just a kookey as me! This all makes for
>good night time cranial processing.....
>
>Terry Farrell

When someone throws an idea into the ring, there's no telling where
it might lead - thankfully - however . . .

There is one factor which might be an advantage with the overstrung
layout. It allows for longer speaking lengths in the low tenor,
provided that the bass bridge is positioned far enough away from the
straight side to allow room for the longer tenor scale and its
accompanying hitch pin belt. Some will argue that you can have a long
scale on the plain wire string section of a straight or oblique
layout provided the case is a wide bellied design, but I've not been
particularly impressed with a number of the wide bellied cases I've
heard in recent years. I realise that the examples I'm thinking of
are overstrung, but I think the same lack of tonal focus would plague
the straight strung layout if one were to use a wide belly.

The wide bellied fashion is really raging in piano-design land at the
moment. But its a fashion I have no intention of taking up.

Since there should be a shortening of the speaking length from the
last plain-strung note to the first covered wire, if this break is
also positioned at the break between the tenor and bass in an
overstrung design, it will yield a good transition and a
lowest-possible minimum inharmonicity for a given length of piano.
Now I realise that some will argue that we don't want the lowest
possible inharmonicity at the crossover. That's OK if that's what one
wants, but my preference is for a low inharmonicity scale, and the
overstrung layout would seem to allow for this to be taken further
than with straight or oblique stringing.

I admit that the overstrung layout also makes a good tonal blend
across the break more difficult to achieve, but that doesn't matter
provided you are aware of the potential for disaster and position the
bridges to achieve a similar stiffness for both bridges at the
crossover point. It can be done, though we do see some rather
ordinary examples in contemporary and not-so-contemporary designs
from time to time.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY