room humidity control

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:56:11 -0700

I am reminded of a late night DJ job I held in my late teens. The station
was in the basement of the Adelaide Hotel. The entrance to the hotel, and
also the radio station, was in the back of a dingy dead end alley. But I
digress... We had humidity problems big time in the control room and
subsequently had a rather large and noisy de-humidifier sitting on the floor
in the corner of Master Control. The chief engineer of the station, knowing
that this was unacceptable noise for on-the-air, hooked up a relay on the
power to the de-humidifier that was triggered to the "on" switch of the
Master Control microphone. Every time the announcer would open the mic, it
would automatically shut down the de-humidifier. When the mic was closed,
the de-humidifier would then start back up.

Years later, when I was working at a recording studio, the AC was designed
so that the de-humidifier was way back in the system. The duct work from the
roof mounted system was installed with acoustical damping qualities that
allowed us to keep the AC on all the time. It was almost un-noticeable
unless you were standing in the studio and had someone turn it off and
suddenly became aware of just how quite the room could be. Most of the work
in those studios involved close micing so the AC would have to have been
pretty noisy to actually be problematic. But with properly designed room
acoustics we regularly did vocals and string sessions without compromise.

FWIW, the radio station was an underground rock station in late 60's San
Francisco and the studio was a high end "A" class Hidley designed studio in
late 80's Los Angeles. Sort of the extremes in acoustical environments and
treatments.

Geoff Sykes
Assoc. L.A.