Bookkeeping Programs

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:46:17 -0400

I use Quickbooks and a Palm.  There seems to be a natural division of data
between customer tracking, scheduling, and accounting.

For example, in Quickbooks, I don't have a full customer database (and their
customer database add-on is very primitive): I enter most transactions as
Sales Receipts (since I'm paid on the spot), and use a handful of dummy
customers: Mr. Cash Taxable, Mr. Cash Non-Taxable, etc.; those totals are
good enough.  I only enter into Quickbooks the customers who don't pay the
same day (and those I enter as Invoices).  These are the only ones that I
enter twice -- and I don't need driving directions, etc., in Quickbooks...

My full schedule and customer database are on my Palm, so my schedule is
always at hand and current.  On the Palm, you can enter data into the Note
field on almost any record type.  For customers, I put driving directions
and service history there (there's a nice shortcut "ds" for "date stamp"
that inserts today's date; see Prefs | Shortcuts).  Don't forget that data
flows both ways between the Palm and Palm Desktop, so you can do major data
entry on your PC and then just sync up.

I looked at Time and Chaos, and honestly didn't see many more features than
what Palm Desktop has.

Of course, I'm only tracking 150 customers, but I'm still only using half of
my Palm's 2 Meg of memory.

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV