room climate control

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:28:46 -0400

Amen, brother!

I've been trying to explain to customers that when they tune only once =
every three years, that it's only in tune for maybe a month (after an =
80-cent pitch raise).  So over six years, they've had the piano in tune =
for two months... But if they'd let me get it up to pitch and stabilize =
it (maybe three tunings in six months), it would stay for practically a =
year...

It's like the guy eating the bad apples first out of the barrel, and =
winds up eating bad apples all winter...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dean May=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:31 AM
  Subject: RE: room climate control

  The answer to the question of "how often should I get it tuned?" is =
how badly do you want it to go out before you get it retuned? Most of us =
could return to one of our tunings a week or two later and do some =
tweaking. The piano starts to go out as soon as we are done tuning. The =
goal of a regular tuning schedule is to keep the piano IN TUNE and not =
to let it get OUT OF TUNE. Alan's customer is a classical pianist. She =
needs her piano to be in tune every time she sits down to play. For it =
to be out 7 cents is way too much for such a pianist, even though it may =
sound "okay." Does she want her ears to become accustomed to the sound =
of an out of tune piano? Because that is what she is training them to =
accept by allowing her piano to go out that much.=20

  =20

  Dean

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

  PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272