Mysterious unsolvable Yamaha double-striking uprights

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:35:46 -0400

On Jul 12, 2005, at 2:48 AM, Geoff Sykes wrote:

> Loose hammer flanges sounds like a real likely culprit. How many times
> have we checked the pinning on a brand-new hammer flange only to see
> eight or ten swings? Since this is dealer prep I think I was actually
> avoiding that as a possibility.

Good god, Geoff! This is Yamaha that we're talking about -- not a
company that wants products out in the world that are "semi
acceptable!" Go back, check the pinning friction, and then give Yamaha
tech support a phone call (better yet, call them first!). I'm sure they
will help you figure this one out (and make sure you're paid for your
efforts). Just a guess -- if the center pin/flange friction is within
specs, are the return springs too strong?

Patrick Draine