Bechstein Questions

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:38:29 -0700

Sally,

Thanks for the email.  Could you tell us a bit more about the=
 hammers?   Wurzen AA felt?   Good to hear they are using softer=
 hammers.

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: SallyPhillips
Subject: Bechstein Questions

Hi folks,

I can help answer your C. Bechstein questions.  C. Bechstein has=
 rescaled almost every piano in their line in the last several=
 years.  The new 192cm, 210cm, and 280cm grands now have a capo=
 in the treble.  Only the 232 is still made with the agraffes all=
 the way up.  The 232 however has a really nice sweet tone and=
 does project very well.  The Bechstein Academy line is the less=
 expensive of the two lines.

I have asked dealers not to have voicing done on these pianos=
 until I have the chance to speak to or work with their tech. =
 The hammers are not as hard as most German hammers and they=
 respond very quickly to needling.  They have had all the=
 preliminary needling done at the factory and need very little to=
 make a change.  Also the fitting of the hammers to the strings=
 is usually very good and even any slight needling to the crown=
 will change that.  When I visit the Bechstein dealers I always=
 schedule a lot of time with the techs to address any questions=
 they might have regarding the regulation and voicing.

I just spent a week at the factory in Seifhennersdorf (Saxony)=
 and had a great time observing the manufacturing process as well=
 as the incredible machinery.  We will have a new Bechstein=
 America website up within the month and I will let you all know=
 when that is ready.  I hope to have lots of pics from the=
 factory on the site.

If you have any technical questions you may email me and I will=
 help.   Questions that involve the history of models might have=
 to be answered by Germany.  I=92m really only familiar with the=
 current models and the few that I serviced over the years as a=
 tech.  I know about older models but may have never seen one. =
 Just make sure that you have the serial number of the piano and=
 I can get any information from the factory that you need.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Sally Phillips
Director