Spinet Bass String

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 15:06:30 -0400

No need to remove action for bass string replacement on any piano =
(including spinet).

I find that I need to remove the action sometimes to replace a treble or =
upper tenor string when the bridge pins and hitch pin is way up behind =
the action. I'll just bet that some resourceful techie out there =
routinely replaces these without removing the action (or maybe most of =
you!). Care to share tips/techniques?

I remember when I first started tuning pianos, I found that on many =
pianos - especially spinets (and most especially on those 1970s Baldwin =
spinets with the super-wide fallboard) - I had to remove the fallboard =
to make enough room to put mutes into the strings for tuning. Now, of =
course, I think about that and wonder what the heck my problem ever =

Terry Farrell

  I will be practicing bass string replacement on a spinet (using =
universal strings).  Is it necessary to take the action out like I would =
in a upright, or can I just go for it?

  Thanks!

  Matthew