target tensions

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:37:25 -0500

FWIW, I played around with the tensions and ended up with the following
settings. Force was measured at the damper head where dowel was glued.

Bass singles- 45g
Bass wedges- 25g
Tenor- 25g down to 15g at upper break
Upper treble- 15g

It was interesting that after training my touch with the gage I could
pretty accurately hit my targets just by feel with the finger.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Dean May
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 6:01 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: target tensions

I recall earlier discussions about Yamaha upright spring tensions being
on the high side (damper, jack, hammer) causing poor touchweight and
bobbling hammers. I've searched the archives and found some of those
posts. What I haven't found are target tensions. In other words, what
should the tensions be set to? I've got a U3 on the bench right now and
I was wanting to play around with my Correx gages.

Many thanks,