Stretchy Strings

Warren Fisher fishwar@bellsouth.net
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:03:36 -0500

Jim
Sounds like adjacent strings are possibly crossed.  Did you check the strings behind it to see if one was way sharp?  That much turn is impossible without breaking a string.

Did you check to see if the string becket or crosspiece that goes into the tuning pin hole is broken off? That would give you zero pitch change.

Warren

Warren Fisher- Navy Retired - Slidell, Louisiana
98 2500 Dodge Cummins TD, DTT Auto, Smart Controller, E-Brake, ATF, EGT, and Boost gauges, Mag Hytec tranny and differential pans, Aux. tranny cooler, 4" exhaust, monster air filter, engine 125 hp upgrade.
02 Titanium fiver 28E33, aerodynamic front end, 2-120W solr panls, Friendship 2000 invrtr,
four Lifeline absorbed glass mat battries, Honda 5000 genset

----- Original Message -----
From: altieri
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 7/7/2005 9:12:21 AM
Subject: Stretchy Strings

Hello,  I haven’t posted much here yet but I’ve been listening and learning.  This list is a great help to people new to this business.

I’ve just had someone give me a chickering quarter grand.  I believe its from 1929 or around then.  When I went to do a pitch raise it seems that most of the strings reacted normally but I’ve gotten to one that I was able to turn the pin about 180 degrees and the pitch was not changing.  It seemed like it was only stretching a section of the string maybe?  The strings have not really been cared for and the inside of this piano really needs some tlc but I was wondering if this is a hint that the whole thing should be restrung (which I might attempt anyways) or if this is something I should worry about on a string by string basis.  Apparently their old tuner told them that he really didn’t want to charge them for tunings anymore because this piano would not hold the tune.  When I saw it at their home some of the pins were very loose.  Now that it is in my garage (its been fairly humid here in CT) the pins are all at a normal tightness it seems.  I’m guessing this might of just been a result of dryness in their home?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Altieri