Tuning Wedges

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:43:06 -0700

--FB473CC7-B034-4696-B014-4E76D66FDBA2
I immediately recognized that ugly pounder and new this was a=
 post from Terry...;-]

David I.

Original message
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Tuning Wedges

I have been getting mine from Pianotek - page D-7 #MF-2M &=
 #MF-2L. Below is a picture of the mutes I use on a grand piano=
 for tuning (oops - and my key whacker).

The three mutes on the left are the #MF-2M - the top one has been=
 shortened for use in the bass (and sanded for a finer entry=
 point). I also use it and the two longer ones on the left at the=
 struts (I use the two longer ones together to go between the=
 strut and string - I've been thinking of just gluing them=
 together to have one nice thick one). The two on the left are=
 #MF-2L (cut in half length-wise) and I use them for all plain=
 wires except the notes adjacent to struts (sometimes on the=
 treble strut they work fine because the space is small between=
 the strut and the string). I find these smaller mutes great for=
 the plain wires because you can remove and insert them more=
 quickly than the bigger mutes.

I also use the #MF-2M (lower left) uncut for wound strings on all=
 vertical pianos - and in the tenor on a tall upright where there=
 is room to use it.

Sometimes these felt mutes get a bit floppy - I've been thinking=
 of juicing them with a hammer-hardener solution. Haven't tried=
 it yet though, but thinkin'.......

Terry Farrell

> Where does one find these gems?
>
> Phil Ryan

--FB473CC7-B034-4696-B014-4E76D66FDBA2
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--FB473CC7-B034-4696-B014-4E76D66FDBA2--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image0001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 77766 bytes