Arledge Bass strings

Tremaine Parsons ptglist@sacptg.org
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:34:35 -0700

Dale,

I suppose this depends on the definition of the word "correct".

Actually, I was making a statement regarding the fact that the Sanderson =
Break % formula calculates out at about 4% higher than whatever formula =
that Del uses. Del stated that the Sanderson Break % formula was =
incorrect. I honestly don't know which is "correct" for typical modern =
wire but am willing to accept Del's postiion that most current wire has =
a higher tensile strength. So, I don't get all in a bunch if the =
Sanderson Break% formula tells me I have a note at 68% Break Point =
because by Del's calculation it would be at about 64% of Break Point.

There does not appear to any differences of opinion regarding Tension =
calculations. They calculate essentially the same.

Tremaine
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:41 PM
  Subject: Re: Arledge Bass strings

    Tremaine
     Nice to hear form you. Well ,I guess if I like the sound of the old =
L strings I could simply measure I.D. & O D. , have them rerpoduced & =
just forgo the scaling altogether except I'm interested in accurate =
measurments & even tensions.. So how does one know if the tension =
programs one is using is actually the ( correct) one?
    Ari Isaac was the one I had the experience with the L strings many =
loong years ago. His scaling for my taste was always (almost way to =
heavy & irratic. In fairness he' probalby learned a few things since =
then as we all have but I never hear from any one on this list that uses =
them. I do know one can scale a stwy B set to heavy & kill the sustain & =
natural beauty of a stwy Bass end.

     AmHIK.
     Dale

    The Sanderson (Pscale) Break Percent formula calculates the top 10 =
bichords of an original Steinway L scale to be in the 55% to 67% of =
Break Point range. In fact, from what I have been able to determine, the =
Sanderson formula calculates Break Point at about 4% higher than =
whatever formula Del is using.

    Given that the tensile strength of today's wire is said to be =
higher, I just interpret the Sanderson calculation with this in mind.

    Tremaine Parsons
      ----- Original Message -----=20