Knowing Too Much

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:40:08 -0500

Knowing too much can spoil the fun.

You know that Far Side cartoon where two goldfish are swimming around in a blender (which is not—at the moment—running) and won of them is saying "I can't stand the tension"?

Well my good wife and I were down enjoying Branson for a couple of days. We saw a fabulous show called the Magnificent Seven. An aside: We would HIGHLY recommend this show. It has outstanding musicians backing up very versatile, talented and energetic singers/dancers in a wide variety of music and humor. The piano player, who reminded us a lot of Paul McCartney, was really good and funny; his Little Richard impression had us rolling. Anyway, I digress ...

The show is in the White House Theater so you can also get a really fine dinner for $4.95 (yes!) additional on your show ticket. We had very good steaks. While we ate, before the big show, two young ladies were playing the piano and violin (one instrument per person, actually). They were very good, played old tunes, a little from opera, show tunes, and a fine rendition of the Meditation from Thais.

I was enjoying the food and the music immensely until my wife pointed out the looming disaster: Both performers had stemmed glasses of iced tea or Coke or something sitting on the piano (white Yamaha grand, about 6'). The violinist, in particular would take a sip between numbers, set the glass down somewhat absently, and swing herself and bow around to the front again.

Nothing happened, but I knew how those goldfish felt--there were up to 16 ounces of sugary something perched on the music desk. Yikes.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

P.S. This message, from a client, was waiting when I got home:

"Hi Alan. I need to say goodbye to my Kimball organ. There is way to much
weight in the room and the supports are sinking. Would you know anybody
that would want it? Free!!! That right... I just need to get rid of
it...fast. It's going out to the sidewalk otherwise."

This fellow lives in a mobile home and his Steck grand is in the same end room as this organ (not a newer organ but a good, working two manual with full pedals). I'm looking at a corner of my living room .... my wife is shaking her head side-to-side. What does this mean?