Energy; was: Having Someone to Take Over the Business[wasMy Son]

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:37:55 -0700

At 06:44 PM 7/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>True, talking about gas mileage is one topic, but when it turns to
>environmentalism it can get pretty emotional and is definitely OT, IMHO.
>
>Dean

I fail to see the disconnect. I don't think of Peak Oil as an 'ism', and if
we just keep all cool and collected and ignore it, it will go away. The cost
of gasoline, shortly followed by the lack of gasoline, is going to affect
every aspect of our lives and businesses. It's not just a PC thing, or
a liberal-conservative thing. It's a physical fact. The biggest oil field
in Saudi Arabia is now pumping out a barrel of the saltwater used to keep up
the pressure in the reservoir for every barrel of oil -- and it's their
spare capacity which is supposed to be our mainstay to moderate price
and guarantee supply.

"Twilight in the Desert" (written by a Bush-appointed Republican, Matt
Simmons)
tells it like it is. All the major fields world-wide are in decline,
and the new discoveries are so small they don't even pay for the
drilling costs.

This discussion may seem to be a little premature, but I think in
retrospect, we will see that devising coping methods for the end of
cheap oil is already overdue.

Susan