Ivory Import Export

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:33:01 -0500

Hi Sarah,

It is illegal to ship ivory - whatever the age- into Canada from the US =
or into the US from Canada.  I tried getting the CITES permits from the =
US Fish & Wildlife department to ship 6 old player pianos (for salvage) =
to London, Ontario, Canada.  They asked what they were worth and I told =
them about $100.00 US each. I was then told that the permits would cost =
$400.00 each by the time all was said and done.   I have a friend that =
went to Canada to play a gig at a festival.  Upon entering Canada, =
Customs Officials confiscated his guitar because of ivory inlays!  He =
paid a substantial fine to retrieve his guitar. They are very fussy =
about that in our area.

Steve Grattan, Associate
Lost Chord Clinic
Port Huron, MI
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 4:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Ivory Import Export

  Hi Philip,

  You wrote:  <<Most countries allow importation of ivory products made =
before the CITES=20
  Convention was signed (1974, I think). The U.S. is the exception to =
this. It=20
  is legal, however, to buy and sell ivory within the borders of the =
U.S. so=20
  long as it is not new.>>

  Dumb question:  Is it merely the *import*, and not the *export*, that =
is problematic?  In other words, is it possible, for argument's sake, to =
take a pre-1974 (but not century-old) ivory key-topped piano and ship it =
from the US to another country, so long as the authorities in that =
country are willing?  That is, would the US officials care one way or =
the other?  I have an acquaintance who may be relocating to another =
country with a not-quite-century-old square grand.  I can't imagine a =
beautiful square with plastic keytops!  Ick!

  Peace,
  Sarah

  ... Perhaps if ivory came from donkeys instead of elephants...  THEN =
the US government could care less.  <grin>