Ivory Import Export

Philip Jamison mortier@netreach.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:04:42 -0500

   The USA requires all imported ivory products (ie; piano key tops) to =
be=20
over 100 years old. A century-old Steinway is legal to import. However, =
you=20
must have all the darn paperwork. This includes a "Pre-Convention =
Permit"=20
issued by the CITES Commission in the country of export (Convention on=20
International Trade in Endangered Species). Go to=20
"http://www.cites.org/common/directy/e_directy.html" to find the CITES=20
authority in any country. Your "Pro-Forma Invoice" (shipping list) =
should=20
note which articles contain the ivory. Every article in your shipment =
must=20
be clearly numbered to match your invoice numbers. You must present your =

CITES Permit to U.S. Fish & Wildlife at the proper import location. You =
can=20
only import ivory through certain U.S. ports (including New York and=20
Boston). Some countries require an appraisal before granting a permit. =
This=20
just has to look official, and it is usually granted (costs vary from=20
$25-$75 per article to $25. for any number of articles) . Of course, =
many=20
pianos cannot be dated exactly, but an estimation that looks knowedgable =

will usually suffice. If you import for business use (resale), you must =
have=20
a license from Fish & Wildlife. This costs about $75, I think. It is =
usually=20
much simpler to import "personal articles". Also, your CITES permit must =

predate the date of importation (ie; you can't apply for one after they =
ask=20
you for it). After all that, Fish & Wildlife may still inspect the =
piano(s).=20
Why this is, I'm not sure. You have already told them of the ivory. =
Anyway,=20
this may involve weeks or months of waiting and storage fees. The =
importer=20
has no recourse and must pay all costs. One time, they held a shipment =
of=20
mine for 3 months, broke things by putting pianos atop tables, etc., =
then=20
billed me for $2800.  There was nothing I could do but pay!
   One idea: Remove the keys and ship the piano only. Then, ship the =
keys=20
separately with the CITES douments. This way, if there is a problem, =
they=20
only can hold the keys hostage.
   Most countries allow importation of ivory products made before the =
CITES=20
Convention was signed (1974, I think). The U.S. is the exception to =
this. It=20
is legal, however, to buy and sell ivory within the borders of the U.S. =
so=20
long as it is not new.

Philip Jamison Pianos
West Chester, PA=20