after-ring in new dampers (and thanks!)

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:22:27 -0500

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.  The consensus was to squeeze the tips, so I did =
that before trying anything else.  It worked like a charm, with the =
exception of one note that has a "slow" damp.  (I'll just have to play =
with that one 'til it works right.  It's going to be fussy.  I think =
probably I have to do some minor wire bending to get a good seat.)  All =
of the wedges insert just fine between the strings now.

My tool of choice was actually an old pair of lineman's pliers -- the =
kind with the broad, flat nose.  It took several squeezes along the =
length but worked just fine.  If I were going to do dozens or more =
pianos, then yes, I'd get the special tool!  ;-)

I don't say it often enough:  Thanks for helping me with my piano.  I'm =
really enjoying this entire learning experience and am delighted with =
how my piano is coming along.  Only yesterday, when doing some work on =
the action, I used two of the "not in the book" things I learned on this =
list.  First was Thump's no-mess way to apply teflon to knuckles by =
making a thin slurry of the stuff in naptha and brushing it on.  Works =
GREAT!  Then I used Andre's guidance with regard to spacing of =
backchecks from tails.  It made a relatively quick job out of what might =
have taken a very long time.

I'm occasionally asked for progress reports on my grand project.  So =
far, I've replaced the hammers and shanks to great effect, and Terry has =
done a great job refurbishing my key frame (in exchange for my web =
authoring work).  I've installed a DC-ish system of my own design and =
have achieved quite a lot of stability.  I've obviously replaced the =
dampers and other moth-eaten felt.  I've knocked out all the leading in =
the keys and will be constructing an assist spring rail, in my ongoing =
quest to nix key inertia.  I'm in the process of regulating but won't do =
a full-blown job until I've constructed a new letoff button rail (the =
old one being a monkey-rigged, retrofitted POM -- piece of manure). =20

Without the spring assist in place, the action is of course heavy =
(Stanwood 8/9 hammers).  However it feels very nimble to me, and that =
gives it a certain "lightness."  I find I have a great deal of dynamic =
control.  All things considered, I feel I'm on the right track with all =
that I'm doing.

After I'm finished with the action stack, I'll be working on the Ivories =
(Joe!), and then that chapter (the action) will be closed.  Next will be =
restringing/rescaling.  Then refinishing -- with a couple of case =
enhancements like a slip-out fallboard <grin>.  Lots of big and medium =
projects to do.  I've gotten off list guidance on all of it and would =
like to take this opportunity to thank you all for taking me (and my =
piano) under your wing.  Even at this stage of work, it's one hummin' =
(not so) little piano, and it's getting better every day.  None of this =
would be possible without your help, everyone!

Peace,
Sarah