Key Lead removal help

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:01:06 -0800

I found the best method when using an arbor press for removing the leads
is to prepare a block of wood with a hole drilled through it just
slightly larger than the size of the lead.  Place the block under the
keylead you are extracting with the keylead lined up with the hole so
that the lead is being pushed out into the hole in the block of wood.
The wood outside the diameter of the hole will support the wood around
the lead in the key and prevent tear out.  You can prepare the block of
wood with three hole of different sizes 3/8"+, 1/2"+ and 5/8"+ to
accommodate different key lead sizes.  Don't make the block any larger
than is necessary to give support to the key as the smaller it is the
easier it is to line up with the keylead.  Press slowly at first and
when the lead is aligned properly you will be able to feel it through
the arbor by how easily it gives.

The pliers are nice, though.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Spalding
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 6:38 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Key Lead removal help

Hi Dave,

The plier tool is Renner, I think.  Quality, sturdy, and priced
appropriately.  Photo attached of my cheap do-it-yourself alternative.
Use
the drill press as an arbor press.  (DO NOT turn it on).  Steel rod in
chuck slightly smaller than lead diameter, i.e. for 3/8 lead use 5/16
rod.
Pipe nipple in 4x4 has ID slightly larger than lead diameter.  If the
resistance makes you nervous about damaging the drill press, then for
sure
you're going to splinter the key - in these situations, open up the exit
side of the key with a forstner bit slightly larger than the lead
diameter.

Mike